List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problem: Close & Exit
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-09-08 20:40:10

Nice thoughts, Peter.
It would look ok at first sight, but it doesn't cover everything :

start kword and press cancel,

You have a gray window with nothing in it, and a File menu which
only allows New and Open. Or, open a document, press close, you're back
to this "gray-state".
Now the question is : do we want that ?

* Case 1 : YES

In this case, "Close" could mean : close the current document and revert to
the no-document-state. Exit means exit the application. (Dangerous if other
windows opened). But to me this case is NOT document-centered. It is application-
centered, since you can have an application with no document. So Exit makes
sense, it means exit the application.

* Case 2 : NO

We want to stick to the document-centered idea. Then I agree, no more Exit.
But we need to fix apps not to have such a no-document-state. But then the question
is : what does KWord do when you press Cancel in the initial dialog box ?

Looking forward for a decision, since KOffice is currently VERY inconsistent in
regard to this.

--
David FAURE
david.faure@cramer.co.uk, david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org