List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problem: Close & Exit
From:       Achim Bohnet <ach () mpe ! mpg ! de>
Date:       1999-09-08 10:59:10

>>>Peter Penz wrote:
 > Currently I try to collect comments about the new KDE Standards web site
 > (prerelease). One problem has to be solved: the behaviour of Close &
 > Exit. Because this problem has very much to do with KOffice, I mail it
 > to this list :-)
 >
 > I know it sounds easy:
 > - Exit quits the application and closes all windows.
 > - Close closes the window.
 >
 > In the KDE Standards was said, that every window must have an Exit.
 >
 > Please read following examples carefully, to understand where the
 > problem is ;-)

I hope I got it :)  I'm not a kde developer but I often suffer to
explain users this problem with various applications.

In an ideal world all apps should be either 1 or 3 (as defined by examples
below).  The problem you describe is IMHO not a problem of the Kde GUI standard
but a problem of 'deficient' applications (no offense indended).

In an ideal world applications should always be of type 1 or 3 (from
the point what the user sees in the GUI).  And type 1 or type 3 are only
used in the case

	a) Multi doc makes no sense -> type 1.  _AND_ The invocation of
	  a second instance should either pop to front the already
	  running app or present to Dialog with a 'Exit' buttton that
	  tell the user that already another app is running

	b) Mutli doc makes sense -> type 3.  _AND_ a second invoation
	   should (by default) contact the already running app to
	   open another doc view  (like netscape --remote or nc
           (Nedit Client).

This mean there can be only be one app of type 1 (no close, only exit)
or one app of type 3 (close and exit).

Note on type 3 apps.  I don't care, unless it's a waste of resources if
type 3 apps are implemented as one or multi process application.  It's
only important when several processes are envolved that they speak&cooporate
with each other so each process knows about the others and can present the
and close/exit Menu entries are defined for a one process mulit doc app.

Back to lurking mode.

Achim

					-- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com