List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Stats for KSpread: opinion needed
From:       "John R. Zedlewski" <zedlwski () princeton ! edu>
Date:       1999-08-07 16:14:30

I have to agree with Mosfet that stats functions are pretty central to a
spreadsheet, especially since Goose's definition of a "stats function" is
pretty broad and it includes good random number generation and basic set
manipulation (min, max, standard deviation).  If download size becomes an
issue, it might be possible to make a trimmed-down version of Goose for kspread
that excluded the more esoteric functions.  As source, Goose is only about
350kb, but it swells up to something like 5 or 6 megs as a binary, so that's
worth thinking about.  But as it stands, I think KSpread is a great program
that already has the hard stuff (cell dependencies, etc) worked out, but the
lack of mathematical functions makes it not very useful as an actual
spreadsheet right now.  I think the only real way to settle the KOM/shared lib
debate will be to actually shut up and try implementing both, then compare them.
--JZ