List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice development
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       1999-08-02 20:24:30

Percy Leonhardt wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
>
> > So it's really important that we get more people on
> > board which are interested in application development!
>
> Hi there,
>
> as I am not really new to KDE and have _some_ experience coding KDE/Qt and
> also took a look at KOM/Openparts I would be glad to help out with some
> coding in the KOffice project.
>
> If you are willing to provide me more information about coding for KOffice
> and lend me a helping hand with my first steps, I would in countermove
> spend much or most of my free time for the KOffice project.

I'm also very new to the KOM/OP stuff, but I hope I can help you (at least a
little bit): If you want to start a completely new part have a look at
koffice/kimage. It's quite straightforward (with some additional info from
kdelibs/doc, some comments in the idl-files of the KOffice-libs, and the
examples at kdelibs/corba/tutorials :)
Normally this information is enough to start hacking - this is my current
"state" (due to lack of time :( but I hope this will improve soon...

> Maybe some of you could tell me, how much I have to learn on my own, what
> help you can grant me and show me a way into the project.

<advertising intentsity="100%">
Right at the moment I'm developing a filter for OLE-2.0 files (WinWord, Excel,
PowerPoint). If you want to join this little KOffice-sub-project feel free to
write a mail :)
</advertising>

The "problem" about that filters is that you need very little KOM-knowledge
(thanks to all the lib-developers :) and therefore this might be the wrong
project for you...

Werner