List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Compiling KDEbase snapshot 1999-07-24. I'm in a rut.
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-07-26 7:15:04

Jerome Loisel wrote:

> Hi!
>
>         I wanted to try KOffice out, so I downloaded Qt2.0.1, Mico 2.2.7 and
> KDE20 snapshots (libs, core and office) on a stock RH60 system. I tried
> compiling. I'm kind of new at this, so I might be making a silly mistake... Can
> you help me out? Please?
>         I got Qt2.0.1 to compile with gif on (in /usr/local/qt20x). I then got
> Mico to compile with ministl (in the default dirs). I then got kdelibs to
> compile (in /usr/local/kdecvs). But now kdebase is not working.
>         I could not find the configure script. The Koffice FAQ said this:
>
> # Please start with "make -f Makefile.cvs". You should find a
> # "configure"-script now.
>
>         So I did the following:
>
> # [root@localhost kdebase]# make -f Makefile.cvs
>
>         And got this:
>
> # This Makefile is only for the CVS repository
> # This will be deleted before making the distribution
> #
> # Please recheckout this module!
> # for cvs: use checkout once and after that update again
> # for cvsup: checkout kde-common from cvsup and
> #    link kde-common/admin to ./admin
> # make: *** [all] Error 1
>
>         I then called my brother, who has been programming on Linux for a
> while. On his urging, I tried aclocal. It did not work. I then tried automake
> and autoconf. I then got a slew of messages: autoconf was unable to find
> directories for KDE apps (kthememanager, kab, etc.). I then tried ./configure
> and was told that the sources could not be found in either . or ..   .
>         Am I being stupid? Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance

Hmm, I'm really not sure what you've done. When your kdebase tarballs
comes without
an admin directory, there is something really fucked up.

> Jérôme Loisel
>
> PS: About installing Qt201 on a system which already has Qt1.42, am I being
> stupid there as well? I told kdelibs and mico where to find the Qt20x, but am I
> headed towards a big wall without knowing it? Thanks!
No, that's fine.

> PPS: I really appreciate the install instructions on the KOffice webpage, but
> they only touch the surface of what actually has to be done... Perhaps a little
> more hand-holding would be nice...
Well, they are meant to be a sceleton, not a into deep description of
how things
work. If you're a beginner, you have two options: 1. learn by doing or
2. wait
for a final release with binaries :)

--
Better give your hours some more life than
your life some more hours. - anonymous