List:       koffice
Subject:    Compiling KDEbase snapshot 1999-07-24. I'm in a rut.
From:       Jerome Loisel <monkeys () intergate ! bc ! ca>
Date:       1999-07-25 23:39:04

Hi!

	I wanted to try KOffice out, so I downloaded Qt2.0.1, Mico 2.2.7 and
KDE20 snapshots (libs, core and office) on a stock RH60 system. I tried
compiling. I'm kind of new at this, so I might be making a silly mistake... Can
you help me out? Please?
	I got Qt2.0.1 to compile with gif on (in /usr/local/qt20x). I then got
Mico to compile with ministl (in the default dirs). I then got kdelibs to
compile (in /usr/local/kdecvs). But now kdebase is not working.
	I could not find the configure script. The Koffice FAQ said this:

# Please start with "make -f Makefile.cvs". You should find a
# "configure"-script now.

	So I did the following:

# [root@localhost kdebase]# make -f Makefile.cvs

	And got this:

# This Makefile is only for the CVS repository
# This will be deleted before making the distribution
#
# Please recheckout this module!
# for cvs: use checkout once and after that update again
# for cvsup: checkout kde-common from cvsup and
#    link kde-common/admin to ./admin
# make: *** [all] Error 1

	I then called my brother, who has been programming on Linux for a
while. On his urging, I tried aclocal. It did not work. I then tried automake
and autoconf. I then got a slew of messages: autoconf was unable to find
directories for KDE apps (kthememanager, kab, etc.). I then tried ./configure
and was told that the sources could not be found in either . or ..   .
	Am I being stupid? Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance

Jérôme Loisel

PS: About installing Qt201 on a system which already has Qt1.42, am I being
stupid there as well? I told kdelibs and mico where to find the Qt20x, but am I
headed towards a big wall without knowing it? Thanks!

PPS: I really appreciate the install instructions on the KOffice webpage, but
they only touch the surface of what actually has to be done... Perhaps a little
more hand-holding would be nice...