List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Koffice
From:       Jim McCusker <jpmccusker () yahoo ! com>
Date:       1999-04-22 23:45:25

--- David Anderson <dsanderson@uswest.net> wrote:
> Wouldn't a set of kde interfaces: RDBM (SQL-based) <> XML
> converting/translating wrappers, access tools, forms & templates
> editors, report generators, etc be more useful and non-duplicatory?
> These things are absolutely essential for broad-based enterprise
> acceptance & usage for kde/linux and more keeping with the koffice
> theme.

What I'm thinking of could fit into this framework. I would also like one
of these backends to be a desktop (and maybe easily converted into a
deamon-run server). This setup can have a unifier, though, to make it easy
to do app work on specific applications, while not loading parts that are
not needed, using the plugin and corba architecture.

> As you stated, backend sql servers exist, they've been around, and
> they're more/less bulletproof.  Informix' software in particular lends
> itself to easy script or process-based access.  The leading DBM
> companies like Oracle, Informix, and Sybase have been on the early edge
> of porting & support for linux.  Getting some reward for their decision
> and support would be a good thing.

Yes, tying these servers into the database tool would be a very good idea.

> Once generic wrapping, interfacing tools, that can interface with
> various backend servers, are in place, a backend, simple, desktop DBM
> could be added.

What I'm envisioning is a skeleton that we can hang the various needed
parts of a RDBMS, but especially something where all the tools are
apparent and easily accessible. Also what would be necessary in this setup
would be a standard system by which, within the context of this app,
programmers would have a unified way of accessing any given type of
database, and the implementation details of any specific database would be
hidden.

Jim
===
Jim McCusker | mccusker@iname.com
http://cif.rochester.edu/~fprefect
Wax I in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster,
and your odors of father of elderberries! Go now far, or I
taunt you second once, you them English pig-dogs!
--Monty Python through babelfish.altavista.com