List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Koffice
From:       David Anderson <dsanderson () uswest ! net>
Date:       1999-04-22 19:55:53

Wouldn't a set of kde interfaces: RDBM (SQL-based) <> XML
converting/translating wrappers, access tools, forms & templates
editors, report generators, etc be more useful and non-duplicatory?
These things are absolutely essential for broad-based enterprise
acceptance & usage for kde/linux and more keeping with the koffice
theme.

As you stated, backend sql servers exist, they've been around, and
they're more/less bulletproof.  Informix' software in particular lends
itself to easy script or process-based access.  The leading DBM
companies like Oracle, Informix, and Sybase have been on the early edge
of porting & support for linux.  Getting some reward for their decision
and support would be a good thing.

Once generic wrapping, interfacing tools, that can interface with
various backend servers, are in place, a backend, simple, desktop DBM
could be added.

Jim McCusker wrote:

> [...]

David Anderson
480-777-7343 pager: 1-800-759-7243 pin 1979599#
dsanderson@uswest.net