--- David Anderson wrote: > Wouldn't a set of kde interfaces: RDBM (SQL-based) <> XML > converting/translating wrappers, access tools, forms & templates > editors, report generators, etc be more useful and non-duplicatory? > These things are absolutely essential for broad-based enterprise > acceptance & usage for kde/linux and more keeping with the koffice > theme. What I'm thinking of could fit into this framework. I would also like one of these backends to be a desktop (and maybe easily converted into a deamon-run server). This setup can have a unifier, though, to make it easy to do app work on specific applications, while not loading parts that are not needed, using the plugin and corba architecture. > As you stated, backend sql servers exist, they've been around, and > they're more/less bulletproof. Informix' software in particular lends > itself to easy script or process-based access. The leading DBM > companies like Oracle, Informix, and Sybase have been on the early edge > of porting & support for linux. Getting some reward for their decision > and support would be a good thing. Yes, tying these servers into the database tool would be a very good idea. > Once generic wrapping, interfacing tools, that can interface with > various backend servers, are in place, a backend, simple, desktop DBM > could be added. What I'm envisioning is a skeleton that we can hang the various needed parts of a RDBMS, but especially something where all the tools are apparent and easily accessible. Also what would be necessary in this setup would be a standard system by which, within the context of this app, programmers would have a unified way of accessing any given type of database, and the implementation details of any specific database would be hidden. Jim === Jim McCusker | mccusker@iname.com http://cif.rochester.edu/~fprefect Wax I in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster, and your odors of father of elderberries! Go now far, or I taunt you second once, you them English pig-dogs! --Monty Python through babelfish.altavista.com _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com