List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: repeated compile errors with mico?
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1999-04-20 23:21:47

Royce Smallbone wrote:

> I am sorry if I upset anybody as this is the last thing I want to do with
> all the work you are doing, but I think it is a bit of a cop out just saying
> it is a problem with someone elses work. You could a least give us a clue
> about fixing it.
>
> I too am having great troubles in my attempt to install and try the kOffice
> Alpha.
>
> I have not asked for help before as I see lots of remarks along the lines of
> "Its an alpha version what do you expect" I am sure that the majority of
> people posing such questions can read.
>
> I apoligise again for the tone of my e-mail, its just I am trying to leave
> behind windows and I love KDE and wanted to have a look at kOffice and watch
> its development as I cannot participate in any coding because I can not
> program in C.
>
> If anybody talks to me after this e-mail and would help me get a version of
> kOffice running by telling me what options to install in RH 5.2 then what
> packages need to be upgraded where I can get them so as to start compiling I
> will be most grateful and ever in there debts.

1 : Mico is perhaps the single most difficult piece of OSS software to
compile.  It complains in a variety of situations including, not enough
RAM, The wrong CPU ( iNTEL works and most AMDs but a lot of Cyrix chips
kill it.

2 : EGCS is a difficult compiler, but alas It is needed by KOffice.

3 : KOffice literally spent most of last night compiling on a P166
with 64 megs RAM.  Your mileage may vary :(.  It's a huge compile.

4 : Alpha software is for developers and aggressive testers.  The kind
of people who can figure out most compile time problems by themselves
and get into the meat of debugging.  When it is called BETA then none
programers will be expected to compile it with little effort.

5 : KOffice is in such rapid development now that by the time it's
compiled and tested on most machines from fresh source code the CVS
code has moved on any bugs you find are stale.

There are other issues along these lines and it will be this way for
a while yet.  I.e. Excel, 123 and Quatro Pro do a few things that
KSpread can't accomplish yet.  Until it can the development team will
 concentrate on piling in features and sometime before the KDE-2.0 /
KOffice-1.0 ( assuming they are synchronized ) we will see a KO beta.
That release will probably compile easily for most people.

As for me, I made several attempts before I made mico compile then and
It cost a week to make KDELibs compile, including an email to the
suspected author of that module which was forwarded to a couple lists
( including this one ).  Playing with Alpha level code is not easy and
the best 1st step is to try and find out who is responsible for a
particular error.