List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Database Work
From:       "Jason A. Reid" <jreid () pegasus ! montclair ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-31 20:32:16

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Jost Schenck wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Jason A. Reid wrote:
> >I believe that there is a place, however small it may be,
> >for the type of lightweight, embeddable, single-user
> >database that MS Access provides.
>
> I don't know much about this stuff, but I always thought MySQL was sort of this
> "weight class". Is it not?

>From what I understand, MySQL is a lightweight, _very_ fast
RDB.  It's blinding speed, however, does not come without cost.
If I remember correctly, there is a rather large set of features
from the RDB model that aren't in MySQL (referential integrity
comes to mind).

> Anyway, I'd very much like it if engine would be seperated from the GUI enough,
> so in the future one could create "frontend plugins" for other database
> systems. After all, KOM offers the perfect infrastructure for doing this.

I wouldn't have it any other way :)

> If I'd offer a Linux/KDE based solution to a company that's already
> using, say, Oracle, this would allow a much better integration with the
> existing systems. As soon as KOffice is gonna get more stable and functional
> it'll be more likely that there's some programmer in some company that uses
> Oracle and has a need for such a plugin plus some free time. So increasing
> backend availability probably wouldn't be the problem :)

Ideally, this would be the case.  Again, however, not every user
has access to (or the patience to deal with) an Oracle database.