List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Database Work
From:       Jost Schenck <uzsnty () uni-bonn ! de>
Date:       1999-03-31 18:16:48

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Jason A. Reid wrote:
>Yeah, I pretty much know everything that needs to be done
>with regards to a DB engine...that doesn't mean that I'll
>bang it out like lightning, because it's still a large
>undertaking, but I'm aware of the scope of the problem.
>
>I believe that there is a place, however small it may be,
>for the type of lightweight, embeddable, single-user
>database that MS Access provides.

I don't know much about this stuff, but I always thought MySQL was sort of this
"weight class". Is it not?

Anyway, I'd very much like it if engine would be seperated from the GUI enough,
so in the future one could create "frontend plugins" for other database
systems. After all, KOM offers the perfect infrastructure for doing this.

If I'd offer a Linux/KDE based solution to a company that's already
using, say, Oracle, this would allow a much better integration with the
existing systems. As soon as KOffice is gonna get more stable and functional
it'll be more likely that there's some programmer in some company that uses
Oracle and has a need for such a plugin plus some free time. So increasing
backend availability probably wouldn't be the problem :)

-Jost.

>true for a great many of the "everyday users" that
>KOffice and KDE in general try to appeal to...those people
>that don't have a DB2 or an Oracle Database running on
>their machine, but would simply like to make a catalog
>of their home video collection :)

... hehe, there's KVideolist or something similar! Ok, a catalog of an insects
collection, wire collection or any other collection would do, too :)
There IS need for such a DB.

--
Jost Schenck
jost@schenck.de