List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Are interoperability issues bugs?
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2009-07-14 12:35:14

On Tuesday 14 July 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> If ODF documents created in Koffice display differently in Open
> Office, or vice versa, is that considered a bug?

There are places, especially to do with font rendering, when displaying
something different isn't necessarily a bug: pixel perfect interoperability is
really impossible. But in all other cases, yes, it's a bug.

> How can I know if the
> particular bug is in Koffice, Open Office, or the ODF spec?

Unless you know the spec really well, and one of the office suites from the
inside, you probably cannot determine who has made the mistake. If you report
a problem to us and we determine the problem is with openoffice, we will
report that to openoffice.

> I am
> considering moving to Koffice but as my colleagues use Open Office
> (many of them switching from MS Office at my suggestion)
> interoperability is very important to me. I can only move to an office
> suite that has the same interoperability goals as I have.

We're all for interoperability, but please remember that KOffice 2.0 is
platform release meant for developers to build on, not for end users' daily
needs. We're getting closer, but we're not there yet.