List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Are interoperability issues bugs?
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-14 12:37:56

> On Tuesday 14 July 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> If ODF documents created in Koffice display differently in Open
>> Office, or vice versa, is that considered a bug?
>
> There are places, especially to do with font rendering, when displaying
> something different isn't necessarily a bug: pixel perfect interoperability is
> really impossible. But in all other cases, yes, it's a bug.

Thank you, Boudewijn. Considering your words, would it be acceptable
for me to open documents in the current 2.0 release and file bugs on
reproducible display issues, except font rendering?

>> How can I know if the
>> particular bug is in Koffice, Open Office, or the ODF spec?
>
> Unless you know the spec really well, and one of the office suites from the
> inside, you probably cannot determine who has made the mistake. If you report
> a problem to us and we determine the problem is with openoffice, we will
> report that to openoffice.

Thank you, that is good to know that you will file OOo bugs to help
interoperability as end users cannot know the difference. That is very
important, as OOo is the dominant office suite by far.

> We're all for interoperability, but please remember that KOffice 2.0 is
> platform release meant for developers to build on, not for end users' daily
> needs. We're getting closer, but we're not there yet.

Then why is it called 2.0? I thought that x.0 means "ready for end users".

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il