List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Database integration in KWord
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-14 11:24:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 14. November 2007 11:55:32 Joerg Stadermann wrote:
> And what about kexi, are there any plans for kexi
> integration? I'm asking because I'm about to modify kword's data
> source user interface, hopefully making selecting records from a
> table more convenient. Or did I miss something fundamental
> regarding database integration?

For KOffice2 any and all serial letter stuff is missing; I was waiting for
kexi to become more integrated with KOffice, but there still is no way to get
data out of kexi and no flake integration either :(

I'm not sure what to do as development on kexi seems to again move away from
KOffice integration. Which makes me a bit sad.

I'm not yet prepared to give up on kexi being a datasource for exactly these
kind of usecases,  It was one of my main examples of how to provide a flake
integration for kexi and it still looks like a great way to do it.
Maybe someone is up to the task to add it as a koffice-wide plugin? :)

Basically the flake would use the kexi library and have a specific tool to
edit data (much like the widgets you saw in KWord, but then based on the kexi
library). You can have the tool work with kotext to insert text in a current
text document (KoTextSelectionHandler) on a text document.  But naturally a
kexi-specific shape that shows some kexi specific stuff (not sure what) is a
possibility.

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander