List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Database integration in KWord
From:       Joerg Stadermann <jstadermann () gmxpro ! de>
Date:       2007-11-14 14:32:33

On Mittwoch 14 November 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wednesday 14. November 2007 11:55:32 Joerg Stadermann wrote:
> > And what about kexi, are there any plans for kexi
> > integration? I'm asking because I'm about to modify kword's
> > data source user interface, hopefully making selecting
> > records from a table more convenient. Or did I miss something
> > fundamental regarding database integration?
>
> For KOffice2 any and all serial letter stuff is missing; I was
> waiting for kexi to become more integrated with KOffice, but
> there still is no way to get data out of kexi and no flake
> integration either :(

So would it be very difficult porting the existing stuff to
KOffice2? In case the situation with kexi won't improve there
would be some serial letter functionallity at last.

> I'm not sure what to do as development on kexi seems to again
> move away from KOffice integration. Which makes me a bit sad.
>
> I'm not yet prepared to give up on kexi being a datasource for
> exactly these kind of usecases,  It was one of my main examples
> of how to provide a flake integration for kexi and it still
> looks like a great way to do it. Maybe someone is up to the
> task to add it as a koffice-wide plugin? :)
>
> Basically the flake would use the kexi library and have a
> specific tool to edit data (much like the widgets you saw in
> KWord, but then based on the kexi library). You can have the
> tool work with kotext to insert text in a current text document
> (KoTextSelectionHandler) on a text document.  But naturally a
> kexi-specific shape that shows some kexi specific stuff (not
> sure what) is a possibility.

I don't know if I would be up to the task, but to be honest I'm
not very interessted in kexi, which is certainly a very good
piece of software, but personally I'm more concerned about data
integration in environments with already existing database
backends.

I was thinking of a more simple way:

Click "Edit current entry"->displays tables
Select a table->issues "select * from <table>"->displays records
in "Query result"-widget
Select one or more records->constructs query->displays query in
query input field
Click "Execute"->executes query

Still rather arward but you would have both: simple
point-and-click record selection and constructing more complex
queries by entering them directly in the text input. Additionally
you would cut one step for inserting database variables in your
document, since the selection of the table would already make the
fields available.

Admittedly I haven't looked into the source for quite a while now,
but unless I'm not completly wrong, this should be possible by
only modifying KWQtSqlPowerSerialDataSource.cpp

I guess it would be nicer to have a common data view plugin for
koffice but that seems to require a bit more effort.

Anyway, thank you for your kind response. I guess as soon as I
have a proper build environment I'll give it a shot.

Ciao
Joerg