List:       koffice
Subject:    Database integration in KWord
From:       Joerg Stadermann <jstadermann () gmxpro ! de>
Date:       2007-11-14 10:55:32

Hi,

that's some thing irritating me for quite some time now: The
integration of existing databases in KWord. Funny enough the
usually hard bit, setting up the data source is a snap, providing
your distribution comes with the right qt drivers. The user
interface is a different story, I think it hasn't changed much
since serial letter functionality was introduced.  I wish we had
something more like OO Writer has, the integrated data source
view they inherited from Star Writer. IMO data integration from
external data sources, other than kaddressbook is cruicial for an
office suite, especially in a business environment and demanding
the average user to issue a sql-query to get one record from a
MySql database, just to fill in the address fields in a simple
letter is rather arkward.  Is there any development regarding
data integration, particullary on the serial letter editor going
on? And what about kexi, are there any plans for kexi
integration? I'm asking because I'm about to modify kword's data
source user interface, hopefully making selecting records from a
table more convenient. Or did I miss something fundamental
regarding database integration?

That said, KOffice is still much better than OO. It is amazing
what progress was made during the past years.

Joerg