List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Color Printing profiles
From:       Terry <terauck-klist () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-10-13 3:59:03

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> This is about photographic printing.  Specifically at the local one hour
> photo place.
>
> I found a place to download the generic Fuji Frontier profiles:
>
> http://www.fujifilm.de/serv_1120.html??
>
> I couldn't find this on the US site.
>
> There are 8 generic profiles.  There are two kinds of FujiColor paper
> each with two types and there are two printer settings. So, you need to
> ask a few questions.
>
> These need to go in $KDEDIR/share/apps/krita/profiles/ (e.g.
> /usr/share/apps/krita/profiles/)
>
> IIUC, if you don't ask, most labs use the sRGB setting which results in
> a small loss of gamut.  In either case, ask them not to modify the image.
>
> The machine doesn't do color management so you need to give them a raw
> RGB that gives you the result you like when previewed using the proper
> profile.  Adding color profile info to the file won't help.  This
> probably means that you should use Perceptual for the preview.
>
> There are also profiles for the scanner which would be the thing to use
> if you get a CD at the 1 Hour place.
>
> I also note that there are specific profiles available for specific labs
> -- Google is your friend here.  I do not really see why this should be
> necessary with the Fuji printer, but some sites claim that each printer
> is different despite the fact that they use color lasers to write on the
> paper.
>
> Note that these profiles are all going to be RGB because that is what
> the machine uses.  Do NOT send the local one hour photo lab CMYK files.
>
> OTOH, if you are having enlargements made at a professional lab, they
> probably use a Durst printer and they probably do color management, and
> may have a custom profile available.
>
> Is there a Wiki or FAQ that I should add this info to?

I've just started a site for KOffice users at http://koffice.wikidot.com

There is a forum guestbook and visitors can also post to the "page
discussions" category in the forum as well as create a new page.  If you
create the new page, provide a link to it in the "page discussions"
category and I'll provide a link somewhere on the site.  I may move your
new page in the process.  I think probably a Krita page would be the go.

Please join the site if you wish.  It has been mentioned on the KOffice
news page and on the KOffice general mailing list.

--

Regards, Terry North

Murphy's Law is recursive