List:       koffice
Subject:    Color Printing profiles
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-12 22:36:40

This is about photographic printing.  Specifically at the local one hour
photo place.

I found a place to download the generic Fuji Frontier profiles:

http://www.fujifilm.de/serv_1120.html??

I couldn't find this on the US site.

There are 8 generic profiles.  There are two kinds of FujiColor paper
each with two types and there are two printer settings. So, you need to
ask a few questions.

These need to go in $KDEDIR/share/apps/krita/profiles/ (e.g.
/usr/share/apps/krita/profiles/)

IIUC, if you don't ask, most labs use the sRGB setting which results in
a small loss of gamut.  In either case, ask them not to modify the image.

The machine doesn't do color management so you need to give them a raw
RGB that gives you the result you like when previewed using the proper
profile.  Adding color profile info to the file won't help.  This
probably means that you should use Perceptual for the preview.

There are also profiles for the scanner which would be the thing to use
if you get a CD at the 1 Hour place.

I also note that there are specific profiles available for specific labs
-- Google is your friend here.  I do not really see why this should be
necessary with the Fuji printer, but some sites claim that each printer
is different despite the fact that they use color lasers to write on the
paper.

Note that these profiles are all going to be RGB because that is what
the machine uses.  Do NOT send the local one hour photo lab CMYK files.

OTOH, if you are having enlargements made at a professional lab, they
probably use a Durst printer and they probably do color management, and
may have a custom profile available.

Is there a Wiki or FAQ that I should add this info to?

--
JRT