List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: PR and the release of KOffice 1.4 (beta)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-28 8:01:47

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 21:07, Inge Wallin wrote:
> What we have in front of us is the release of the most comprehensive free
> office suite in existence. It might not be the best if you look at it and
> compare it to the other office suites component by component. Let's be
> honest with ourselves here; for instance both Gnumeric and  Oocalc is
> better than KSpread and KWord is not as good as neither Abiword nor
> Oowriter.

A much more lasting advertisement strategy is probably to write (or get
others to write) articles for your local Linux magazines.
LinuxUser (a german magazine) has written various articles in the past on
the subject and those always generate new users due to exposing features
most users really like, but don't know how to do.
This is naturally not limited to paper articles; but those are sure to get
the most exposure.

Think things like this: http://www.virtualsky.net/daves/2005-06.htm
I'll repeat the question from you on the kde-i18n-nl list since the NL team
is pretty proud with a very complete translation of strings and docs,
something that can surely be highlighted in local settings as well.  Its
good to see translators (Natalie in this case) even translated the above
linked howto into Dutch :)

With the time it normally takes for paper articles to go to print, everyone
that wants to write an article for a paper magazine, this is probably the
perfect time since 1.4 is certainly out by the time the article is printed.

ideas;
- using best features from KOffice in your OOo documents (since we share
fileformat)
- Professional markup of your document with KWord (text,- frame,- and table
styles for consistency)
or pick a new feature from the changes document :)

--
Thomas Zander