List:       koffice
Subject:    koffice article follow-up
From:       Marc Heyvaert <marc_heyvaert () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-07-29 20:07:39

Hello all!

Big troubles over here. I had a systemcrash due to
some testing with fonts. My X-server kept crashing,
couldn't get it right, so I went for a complete
re-install in the end. The reason? I disabled all
fonts with the configuration centre except tt and I
forgot to set the system fonts back before switching
off...

Anyway, I wanted to get a reasonable solution to
proper printing in KOffice, especially when using PDF
files. I may do a little hands-on guide as a result of
this. These are my findings :

There seem to be some problems related to Qt not
properly embedding tt fonts (see mails by James
Richard Tyrer in the KDE list). Cups is a problem, a
patch for other printing systems exists.

I didn't want users (non-geek variety) to fiddle too
much with their system, so this is what I came up with
as (hopefully acceptable) solution.

(1) Kprinter does embed Type 1 fonts with no problems,
so you can restrict the fonts that you use to the Type
1 fonts that come with gs
(file:/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/Type1)

(2) You can add tt fonts with Configuration Center,
KDE will use these fonts (visible in KOffice
applications) but Kprinter does not embedd them. They
are reproduced as bitmaps at a standard resolution of
300 dpi. This is low and you will get a staircase
effect when scaling. It will look bad. Although
Acrobat 6.0 does a good job at displaying them. You
can increase quality by increasing the dpi resolution
in the settings of KPrinter.

(3) You can convert all your tt fonts to Type 1 with
ttf2pt1. This gives IMO a very good result (perhaps
not for every font, but the ones I tested where ok. I
will probably recommend this route. It is simply a
matter of creating a new dir. Converting the fonts (I
will try to write a script for this) and to include
these fonts with Configuration Center, whyle disabling
the TT fonts.

What d'you think?

Marc