List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KSpread : first attempt at an outline for a new handbook
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-04-19 19:05:45

On Saturday 17 April 2004 21:20, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> I'm just back from my holiday...so a quick reaction.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
> I can see your point of view for most of your
> suggestions, I will try to incorporate them. I hope
> that you will continue to read and react as the
> chapters are written.

Hi Marc,

I hope so too, as much as time allows I will assisst by commenting,
suggestions, proof reads (and maybe help with the German translation, but
that really depends on time).

> --- Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst@gmx.at>
>
> wrote:
> > [suggestion]
> > Chapter 10 might include D-BUS if it is by then a
> > topic for KDE (as far as I
> > found out D-BUS might play a role in KDE4).
>
> I haven't a clue what you're talking about here, but
> I'll look around ;)

D-BUS is something similar as DCOP but "better" in many ways (whatever better
means, probably designed for more scenarios than DCOP, so you get better
usage flexibility). It's still in development.

In the end D-BUS is meant to be a system wide messaging bus. It will in the
future be (probably) used by GNOME and KDE which also results in a much
better integration of these applications into the other desktop. KDE 4 maybe
will use D-BUS (I'm don't know about the details in terms of roadmap).

http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus

> > [general suggestions]
> > Although there is a dedicated tutorial section I
> > wouls also suggest to put
> > very simple examples into the first part of the
> > book, this normally helps the
> > user/reader to understand the current topic (I am
> > one of those readers). For
> > longer examples it is of course better to put a
> > reference to the tutorial
> > section.
>
> Yes, of course. There will be plenty of examples in
> the first section too. Everything will be done with
> examples and screenshots! And I will add labels to the
> screenshots too (but probably with numbers, not text
> so that translators don't encounter too many technical
> problems.

great :)

> And about the integration with the existing handbook :
> in the beginning I thought that it would be good to
> paste the text of the existing manual in the new one
> at the appropriate place. But now I think that this
> book will be too far removed from the exising handbook
> to do this. So I will use the existing handbook(s) as
> inspiration for some chapters, but basically it will
> be my work. So I(m aiming for a complete replacement.

yes, I think that's just as good. Replacing it completely will result in a
more "consistent" handbook - besides the increased amount of needed time (but
who knows...).

> Marc

Keep on the good work!
Raphael