List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Get Started (was: Re: The "Killer" application])
From:       Clarence Dang <dang () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-11-27 6:55:38

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 02:07 am, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> > > I'd like to have 30 more KOffice developers.
> >
> > Any pointers on how to get started? :)  KOffice seems like a rather large
> > beast. ;)
>
> It is indeed difficult to tell where to start.

Nicolas, you forgot to mention your own tutorial! :P
http://www.koffice.org/developer/generalinfo/

> As we will probably need many people for converting the filters helping us
> here could be interesting for the whole project.

Yes, filters are the real weak point of KOffice (KWord especially).  We
certainly need more people with attention to detail.  Hopefully the move to
the OOo Writer format will mean that we can get rid of disasterous
limitations like non-inline [1] frames not being exported at all (because
currently, the filters don't know where they're located so can't sensibly put
them anywhere).

KOffice unfreezes in about a week or two so I guess real filter porting work
will start in a couple of months.

Cheers,
Clarence

[1] I used to call them "floating" but after looking in the source code,
apparently "floating" == "inline" !