List:       koffice
Subject:    Get Started (was: Re: The "Killer" application])
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-11-26 15:07:43

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 00:32, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 November 2003 05:28 pm, David Faure wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 November 2003 00:18, Eugene wrote:
> > > What direction is KOShell going to go?  To me it currently looks like
> > > you choose the app/part and create a document specific to that app/part
> > > which isn't much different from running that particular app in the
> > > first place.
> >
> > Except for switching apps / documents more easily.
> >
> > > I'd like to see something a bit different.
> >
> > I'd like to have 30 more KOffice developers.
>
> Any pointers on how to get started? :)  KOffice seems like a rather large
> beast. ;)

It is indeed difficult to tell where to start.

Developing filters has the advantage that a new developers do not need to
learn too much of Qt (mainly just a few classes: QString, QCString,
QByteArray, QTextStream, QDataStream, QTextCodec, QMap.)

The problem with filters is the documentation of the file formats. As for
KOffice 1.4, we switch to an OO-like file format, so at least this format
familly is correctly documented (see htttp://xml.openoffice.org )

Another difficulty is to find how to express in one file format what the other
file format does (for example lists in AbiWord, OOWriter and RTF 1.6 compared
to KWord.)

As we will probably need many people for converting the filters helping us
here could be interesting for the whole project.

Mostly filter developers later get interested in a KOffice application and
make some changes there.

> Matt

Have a nice day!