List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: joining
From:       Michael Thaler <michael.thaler () physik ! tu-muenchen ! de>
Date:       2003-11-10 8:02:34

Hello,

> P.S.: As you have done many mathematical stuff, you would be perhaps
> interested in my idea of using an arbitrary precision librabry with KSpread.
> (See GnuMP: http://www.gnu.org/directory/gnump.html .) No serious plans
> exist. It is just an idea that I had after reading a bug report.

This sounds very interesting. I just had a look at the webpage of
GnuMP but on first sight there are two problems:

1. GnuMP is partly written in assembler for speed reasons, so I don't
know how portable this thing is.
2. GnuMP seems to offer only very basic mathematical
functions. Basically +,-,/,*, sqrt. All other mathematical functions
you would have to code yourself, like sin(), tan() etc. While you can
of course express all these functions as power series and calculate
them with the above mentioned mathematical operators, this is
certainly a very bad way to do this. I don't know if octave can handle
numbers with infinite precision or any other open source math package
(mathematica or maple can, but that won't help) but writing all
mathematical functions yourself is probably very hard. I also looked
at the Gnu Scientific Library, but it does not have such routines.

That said, I am still looking for my little spot in the KDE world and
that project sounds quite interesting and doable for me if you have a
library that is powerfull enough. I want to work on something that
does not require too much time and that is actually useful for
someone. It also would be nice if the project would be related a
little bit to what I am doing at university. I am a physics
Ph.D. student and I am coding a lot of numerical stuff, so this
project would qualify;-)

Greetings,
Michael