List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: slow printing with CUPS
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-10-24 9:16:57

vailima wrote:
> My apologies for not getting back to you right away, I'd accidently errased your \
> reply to my initial inquiry and took the proverbial "shot in the dark" with my \
> latest note to you.
> On this end I'm using, for the most part, a Dell Latitude CPi laptop (and if it \
> makes a difference, it's replaceent, a Dell Inspiron 5300 model is due in by the \
> end of the month) to generate the text.
> As for the printer(s), I have three, two DMP models and a spray jet model;
>
> 1. Epson 600 Ink Jet
> 2. KX-P1122 DMP
> 3. NEC 5300 DMP
>
> I employ the DMP models for long printouts; they're much faster and per page, less \
> expense to use, as there's plenty of ribbons available for them, from various \
> sources.
> Any and all help would be appreciated, as there's no doubt but that at it's current \
> stage of development, LINUX is just as good as MS/WinXX for this kind of work
> And by the way, Thanks for getting back.

The DMP printers are just slow! :-) Especially if you print high
resolution.  I know because I use one for similar purposes.  If the print
head is moving all of the time, then it isn't the driver that is causing it
to print slowly.  In general, 24 pin machines are faster than 9 pin
machines and using 1/2 the maximum horizontal resolution is best if speed
is important because all DMPs take two passes to print the maximum
horizontal resolution.

--
JRT