List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: karbon
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-10-24 8:56:07

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> I think I start to understand what you want.
>
> As your printner is 600 dpi, you would want that (let name it so) the grid is
> based also on 600dpi. But Postscript is not working that way. PostScript is
> based on 72dpi (the point.) That is why all KOffice application use the point
> as base.

You probably wouldn't want to pick just any resolution, but PostScript
allows decimal fractions so based on a points as the unit: 100 DPI is 0.72
and 600 DPI is 0.12.  They are rational numbers in base 10 so there is no
problem in PostScript.

> Of course PS and also KOffice use floating points, but that is still not
> making it 600dpi-based, however one turns that around. (360dpi, 720dpi and
> 1440dpi are better values in this case, as there are multiples of 72.)

Yes those multiples clearly have an advantage.  But, most laser printers
are still 75*N rather than 72*N. :-(

> Sure in theory, this means a higher risk of moiré. However as far as I know it
> is the job of the RIP to minimize that.

AntiAliasing will help, but laser printers don't do that.  But there are
the technologies that move the dots a small amount.

--
JRT