List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Cursor Movements (for Indian Language)
From:       Bharathi S <bharathi () lantana ! TeNeT ! res ! in>
Date:       2003-03-24 15:18:55

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Lars Knoll wrote:

> yeas, I can give a short comment. Qt-3.2 will have native support
> for indic languages (only devanagari and bengali are implemented

May be for Unicode only. But We are having lot of internal encodings.
So We like to provide a encoding independent solution. Anyway it
need some rule files for each encoding stds.

> and only require modifications in Qt, not in KDE). To achieve this
> we've added support for open type fonts and implemented indic
> ayllable analysis and shaping rules in Qt.

qt/src/kernel/qfont_x11.cpp : Line 622
XCharStruct *getCharStruct( .. )

In QT, I tried at the above level, by using simple substitution table
b/w encoding and glyph. Cursor position is calculate correctly, after
hard coding few of spl combination. But I am unable to handle the
cursor movement, particularly when
XY /WXY (multi) MAP-TO Z (single).

AFAP, We like to make our solution as a ToolKit independent solution.

> Once the 3.2 beta is out, I'll be willing to help getting these
> integrated.
  Thanks :)

> Unicode values, actually, stored in the case of any KDE application
[ Not Sure ] Unicode is provide very less no .of slots for Indic and
at time we can use any one of the Indian language. So we are planning
for a 16Bit encoding which will cover all Indian language and few
other mostly used languages.

> > This looks like an input method problem, not like a problem in the
> > rendering. The application doesn't have to store "BA", it has to
> > store the result, i.e. X / XAY / WXYZ.

This is input problem, ONLY when the application is working in GLYPH
Based method. If App is running in Encoding method then App will store
only the encoded codes and we have to render it on output side. By
using this feature we can view the same content in different indic
languages.

> > Or should the application never be allowed to put the cursor
> > between X and Y in "WXYZ" ?

No. If App(s) uses some std Cursor API (From XLIB or Developer Std) to
draw the cursor then, I hope, it will be very to calculate the new
position externally and *UPDATE* the application with new values.

Comments are welcome.

Thanks,
--
Bharathi S, IndLinuX Team,  (__)