List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice 1.3 alpha?
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2003-03-24 10:56:43

Le Dimanche 23 Mars 2003 21:06, Nicolas Goutte a écrit :
> So may be a font replacement when loading in KWord could be done. It would
> avoid having different solution for each import filter. However this would
> have backdraws too. I think also that the user should have the possibility
> to change the substitution table to avoid unwanted substitutions.

IMHO, having a good style import and export is more important than creating a
complex font substitution engine. If I know that my styles are imported and
exported without messing in the names between MsWord and KWord, I can easily
change the font in KWord and MsWord before printing.

For fonts in KDE, it would be nice to have some kind of favorite fonts (1
serif, 1 fixed, 1 sans serif, etc...). In general, you don't need more that 2
or 3 different fonts in a document and the combo box in KWord for choosing
fonts where I have something like 20 or 30 fonts is a bit too much. Maybe you
could have at the top of the combo box the favorite fonts and below in an
alphabetical order the extra fonts. We could link these 4 or 5 fonts to
standard fonts in Windows and users would know that if they stick to
simplicity they have more chance of good import and export.

Cheers,
Charles
--
cmiramon@kde-france.org