List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Cursor Movements
From:       Bharathi S <bharathi () lantana ! tenet ! res ! in>
Date:       2003-03-24 8:34:46

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, David Faure wrote:

> > Here Cursor positioning is the major problem, Bcoz of 1:2, 2:1,
> > *:* mapping b/w Encoding and Glyph.

> I don't know what those things are, obviously. Can you detail a bit?

In English, 65 = A, 66 = B, ... . The application is storing the ASCII
values. Here ASCII is nothing but a index for the glyphs. So app is
easily calculate the width and place cursor in correct position.

In Indian Languages, for example, 65 = A, 66 = B. But B is followed by
A the output will be X / XAY / WXYZ ...etc. We like to handle this
mapping in output side (By Encoding to Glyph mapping). Here problem is
application know about 2 codes ( 65, 66), the output may be 1(X) /
2(AB) / 3(XAY) / 4(WXYZ). This mapping is done by our intermediate
layer. So application don't know abt it and try to place the cursor in
a wrong position.

Now we are trying to make some interface b/w this. So that
application ITSELF place the cursor in a correct position.
Any correction or new views are also welcome.

> Is it like the (Asian) XIM input stuff ?

Combination XIM and XOM.

XIM :( I tried that also, but I failed to successfully complete it.
Due to the lack of understanding. AFAIK, It also work based on Glyphs.
Plz correct me, if it is wrong.

Thanks,
--
Bharathi S, IndLinuX Team,  (__)