List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Page sizes not consistent with ghostscript
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2003-03-04 10:51:24

> Except that koffice and qt based applications only allow a small choice of paper
> sizes to begin with. so to use a none qt paper size you need to choose custom.
>
> With cups that means you get the default paper size for the printer - A4 or
> letter are the usual.
>
> Problem is when you want to print to say Env DL size.(Yes it exists)

Qt supports natively Envelope DL format. Try any KDE application, select print
to file, edit printer properties and see the list of formats.

> My point is that the programmer cannot know what paper is physically available
> in the printer.

Exact, that's why KDEPrint lists formats supported by the printer, as
extracted from the driver file (PPD file, in case of CUPS). The page size
is then fed back to the KDE application through QPaintDeviceMetrics. This
is the case for most of KDE applications that do not care about the page
size at application level. However, some KOffice applications like KWord
do care about the page size at application level, because they need to
know it to present content in a WYSIWYG-way. In that case, page size is
handled differently. The user selects a page size in the application, which
is then used by the app. At that point, you don't know which printer might
be used, so you can only offers a list a "standard" formats (the default
list under Qt is already quite rich). When you want to print it, then
the application tells which format is wanted to KDEPrint, which then try
to find the matching item in the format supported by the selected printer.
Doing the matching can be quite tricky because you might have as many
different "Envelope DL" keyword as you have printers out on the market.
Maybe what you experience is a matching failure, which then fall back
to A4 or Letter.

> And not to allow the user to change the programs specified default is not a
> verry good choice.
>
> I am disapointed that because of one applications short commings that every
> application using kdeprint is therefor hamstrung.

This problem doesn't concern all applications, at this moment it only
concerns some of KOffice applications (the only one I know, providing
page size handling at application level).

> If this is to be the default action I would prefer the less functionality of
> qprinter.

sed 's/KPrinter/QPrinter/g' in koffice directory should be sufficient.

Michael.

PS: I'm not a subscriber of koffice list, so Cc-me if you want to reach me.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM