List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Page sizes not consistent with ghostscript
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-03-04 11:46:38

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 11:51, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> > Except that koffice and qt based applications only allow a small choice
> > of paper sizes to begin with. so to use a none qt paper size you need to
> > choose custom.
> >
> > With cups that means you get the default paper size for the printer - A4
> > or letter are the usual.
> >
> > Problem is when you want to print to say Env DL size.(Yes it exists)
>
> Qt supports natively Envelope DL format. Try any KDE application, select
> print to file, edit printer properties and see the list of formats.

In QT perhaps, in KPrinter too, but not in KOffice. In KWord's Format/Page,
you cannot select it.

> > My point is that the programmer cannot know what paper is physically
> > available in the printer.
>
> Exact, that's why KDEPrint lists formats supported by the printer, as
> extracted from the driver file (PPD file, in case of CUPS). The page size
> is then fed back to the KDE application through QPaintDeviceMetrics. This
> is the case for most of KDE applications that do not care about the page
> size at application level. However, some KOffice applications like KWord
> do care about the page size at application level, because they need to
> know it to present content in a WYSIWYG-way. In that case, page size is
> handled differently. The user selects a page size in the application, which
> is then used by the app. At that point, you don't know which printer might
> be used, so you can only offers a list a "standard" formats (the default
> list under Qt is already quite rich). When you want to print it, then
> the application tells which format is wanted to KDEPrint, which then try
> to find the matching item in the format supported by the selected printer.
> Doing the matching can be quite tricky because you might have as many
> different "Envelope DL" keyword as you have printers out on the market.
> Maybe what you experience is a matching failure, which then fall back
> to A4 or Letter.

No, no, it is not a matching failure. It is a non-supported feature in
KOffice.

(As for QPrinter's richness, well, it misses many ISO C formats, which means
that you miss a whole range of envelope formats.)

(...)

> Michael.
>
> PS: I'm not a subscriber of koffice list, so Cc-me if you want to reach me.

Have a nice day/evening/night!