List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: wv2 testing
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-02-27 23:09:51

On Thursday 27 February 2003 22:25, Erik Enge wrote:
> Werner Trobin <trobin@kde.org> writes:
> > After that I write a set of 10-30 test documents (with screenshots),
> > trying to exploit all the features of e.g. tables in Word (e.g. first
> > a plain table, then one with merged horizontal cells, vertical
> > merging, colors,... you get the idea).
>
> How do you do this testing?  Are you using KWord to open up those 10-30
> test documents?
>
> > I'd really like to implement a way to automatically test documents,
> > but I didn't come up with a sensible approach up to now. One idea
> > would be to have a fake "consumer" filter, recording the callbacks and
> > all the data and write it to some file. Afterwards it would be
> > possible to verify that the file is properly parsed by comparing the
> > output.
>
> I don't know the details of wv2, but it seems to me that it would great
> if you could have a command-line tool that used wv2 to parse a Microsoft
> Word document and then write it to a KWord, PDF, PostScript or somesuch
> file.

With the help of koconverter, you can for example transform a MS Word document
into a KWord document.

As for PostScript and PDF, it does not work, as KDE considers this to be
printing. So you cannot use koconverter for this, as koconverter only works
with KOffice filters.

> > All those approaches have different advantages and disadvantages, and
> > I'd really like to get your input on that. Any test engineer around?
>
> I guess wv2 converts the Word document to some internal KOffice document
> standard.  Are the parts that write PDF, PS files in KOffice libraries?

No, wv2 is just a library to write filters. It helps reading MS Word
documents. That is all.

You need a filter to do the full job. That is the case of KWord's MS Word
import filter, which (of course) uses wv2. Wv2 is made so that other word
processors (for example OpenOffice Writer or AbiWord) might uses it for
developing their own import filters

As for PS and PDF, as written, in KDE it is considered printing. So printing
to PS is done by kdeprint (from kdelibs), transforming from PS to PDF is done
by GhostScript.

> If so, couldn't you make a tool that uses wv2 to parse and those
> libraries to write?

That is currently not possible. You have to use KWord for printing. Filters
have not enough power to do such a task.

> Erik.

Have a nice day/evening/night!