List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: wv2 testing
From:       Erik Enge <eenge () prium ! net>
Date:       2003-02-27 21:25:56

Werner Trobin <trobin@kde.org> writes:

> After that I write a set of 10-30 test documents (with screenshots),
> trying to exploit all the features of e.g. tables in Word (e.g. first
> a plain table, then one with merged horizontal cells, vertical
> merging, colors,... you get the idea).

How do you do this testing?  Are you using KWord to open up those 10-30
test documents?

> I'd really like to implement a way to automatically test documents,
> but I didn't come up with a sensible approach up to now. One idea
> would be to have a fake "consumer" filter, recording the callbacks and
> all the data and write it to some file. Afterwards it would be
> possible to verify that the file is properly parsed by comparing the
> output.

I don't know the details of wv2, but it seems to me that it would great
if you could have a command-line tool that used wv2 to parse a Microsoft
Word document and then write it to a KWord, PDF, PostScript or somesuch
file.

> All those approaches have different advantages and disadvantages, and
> I'd really like to get your input on that. Any test engineer around?

I guess wv2 converts the Word document to some internal KOffice document
standard.  Are the parts that write PDF, PS files in KOffice libraries?
If so, couldn't you make a tool that uses wv2 to parse and those
libraries to write?

Erik.