List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Page sizes not consistent with ghostscript
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-02-24 18:00:04

On Monday 24 February 2003 12:47, David Faure wrote:

> On Sunday 23 February 2003 14:58, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > Ooh, sorry, I missed that KPrinter unlike QPrinter can not do custom
> > sizes. So KWord has perhaps a user interface for custom size pages but in
> > fact it is unsupported.
>
> Huh? Never realized that.... are you 100% sure?

Well, as I found later (with the help of Philipp Müller), QPrinter cannot do
custom page size either, as you cannot set the page size.

> What is the actual problem, in fact? - I mean, if you print on an envelope
> with a correct page size in KWord, why would it matter if kdeprint/QPrinter
> think it's an A4 page, as long as the topleft corner is correctly
> positioned?

One problem that I see is that the bounding box of an EPS will therefore
always be A4. So you cannot create an EPS that you then put for example in a
Latex document. (This is less a KWord problem but someone already wanted
something similar with KChart and failed. Now I start to understand why.)

You will also get problems for custom formats that are wider or higher. KWord
may paginate correctly but you could never print the areas out of A4.
(AbiWord lists at least 3 formats (+ the bigger than A0 formats) that do not
fit into A4 and that are not supported directly by KPrinter/QPrinter.)

I think that all this make it more urgent to have our own Postscript output. i
do not know if it is possible for KOffice 1.3, time-wise and because of KDE
3.1. However I think that it should be the main goal for KOffice 1.4.
Therefore it would be good if some developers could check if kdeprint of KDE
CVS HEAD would work without KPrinter. If not, it is perhaps time to do
something. (i hope that we would not have to wait KDE 4.0 for binary
compatibility problems.)

Have a nice day/evening/night!