List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Help: Kword problem on RH 8.0??
From:       Seth Kurtzberg <seth () cql ! com>
Date:       2003-01-31 3:23:28

I've only seen this problem happen when there is a file that hasn't been
cleaned up, or, as you suggested, there is a permissions issue.
Unfortunately neither of those fits the facts of what you are seeing.  The
files have always been in /tmp, and if a new user can run kword, then why
can't the existing user?  That tends to suggest it isn't permissions after
all.

I'll make two suggestions.

1.  Don't delete everything that you can delete from tmp, delete _everything_
from tmp.  Shut down, boot into single user mode, remove every last file
(including those that start with dot), and then start up your system
normally.

2.  If this doesn't get you anywhere, run kword (it could be any koffice app,
but we might as well stick to kword) as follows:

strace -o kword.strace -ff -s 1024 kword

What that does is create a set of files that trace the activity of the kword
process and any child processes.  After it runs (however briefly), make a tar
file containing kword.strace*, and email it to me.

Seth Kurtzberg
seth@cql.com
480-661-1849