List:       koffice
Subject:    Help: Kword problem on RH 8.0??
From:       "William W. Austin" <waustin () speakeasy ! net>
Date:       2003-01-31 2:46:45

(If this has already been beaten to death, I apologize in advance; however, I have looked
through archives, etc., without finding a solution...)

I only have until Monday to get a demo ready for the powers that be at my office, and the
koffice package would be a _major_ attraction to them, so I'm asking for help.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate pointers to a solution.

It looks to me like a configuration problem, but I can't find *what* to configure to get fix
it...

I have three boxen (2 intel, 1 athlon) all running RedHat 8.0, and on all 3, I have the same
problem which I have seen posted several other places (without a solution).  About a week
ago, I switched my desktops to kde (from enlightenment -- it's a long story...) to prepare to
give demos to upper management, and I can no longer run _any_ koffice app.  ALL exit with the
same error message:

> Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

I tried RTFM'ing the dox and several mail list archives with no success.  Next I downloaded
the script "check_koffice_install.sh" and it runs telling me (sorry for the length):

> Looking under applnk dir: /u0/u/bill/.kde/share/applnk-redhat/
> Found: /u0/u/bill/.kde/share/applnk-redhat/WWAMenu/Programs/KOffice/kword.desktop... ok,
this is a KOfficePart
> Native mimetype : X-KDE-NativeMimeType=application/x-kword
> Looking under applnk dir: /var/lib/menu/kde/Applications/
> Found: /var/lib/menu/kde/Applications/Extras/Office/kword.desktop... ok, this is a
KOfficePart
> Native mimetype : X-KDE-NativeMimeType=application/x-kword
>
> Service Types dir /u0/u/bill/.kde/share/servicetypes/
> Service Types dir /u/opt/kde/share/servicetypes/
> Service Types dir /usr/share/servicetypes/
> Found /usr/share/servicetypes/kofficepart.desktop
> [PropertyDef::X-KDE-NativeMimeType]
>
> Everything looks ok

I also tried running kbuildsycoca both while running kde and while *not* running kde (and
while not running X at all, for that matter)... but still no luck.

I tried removing *everything* not necessary from /tmp and even removed my .kde tree
altogether with no luck.

HOWEVER, root can run kword, kspread, etc., just fine -- indicating to me it could be a
permissions problem, as can a dummy user I created. But when I 'clone' dummy user's
environment to my own, I still get the same error message.

FWIW, I tried switching desktops to several other choices (gnome, enlightenment, fvwm, twm),
but all with the same results -- which _is_ unesxpected since previously kword worked just
fine.

Any advice to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--
William W. Austin                          waustin@speakeasy.net
					   bill@dsl027-161-026.atl1.dsl.speakeasy.net