List:       koffice
Subject:    Koffice Web Site
From:       Michael Thaler <michael.thaler () Physik ! TU-Muenchen ! DE>
Date:       2003-01-12 14:17:37

Hello,

I just had a llok at the Abiword webpage
(http://www.abisource.com). Some facts I like about it:

- The design is simple and does not use many graphics, but it looks
nice, clean and professional.
- the menu is clearly structured and has all relevant informations.
- They are quite good in advertising their features. The website
creates the impression that Abiword is quite professional.

Although the design of the KOffice web site is pretty similar to the
Abiword website, I think there are some things which we could learn
from them.

Some of my ideas are:
- make the menu looking a little bit better. The stripes on the
abiword web site are doing the trick. Something similar would make the
menu look a little bit more interesing.
- I would suggest to remove the icons of the different KDE
applications from the main site. They do not look really good and they
do not provide any information. Instead I would just present some
screen shots and a short description of KOffice and its
application. This should be designed nicely, so that it looks clean
and professional and attracts people.
- I think the sites of the KOffice components should also be
redesigned. Maybe the should give a more complete introduction to what
the component is for, what the special features of the application
are. Also show some nice screen shots, eye candy is also good.
- I would also make some consistant screen shots. They should all use
the same window decoration etc, I think it looks to childish, if every
second screen shot shows a different window decoration. Keramik and
crystal are pretty standard now and so maybe they should be used.
- I would also put some screen shots on the release page and mention
what some advantages and new features of this release are. I know
there is a change log and a release announcement, but most people will
not read it anyway.

- Same applies for the filter page. I would make a nice table directly
on the page with the status of the filters and supply some links below
or in the menu. Most people that just look at the web site will
probably not follow all the links.
- In my opinion, the Koffice banner on top of the web site also looks
not really nice and professional. Again, the header of the abi word
web page, at least in my opinion, looks better.

Just some ideas I had looking at the webpage. I think it would be
pretty easy to improve some of these things and give the KOffice
project (or at least the web page) a more professional touch,

Greetings,
Michael