List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Pamphlet printing
From:       David Legg <david_legg () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-01-12 12:53:12

You can also use this method to print to PDF as well from KOffice or
Open Office :) (requires some expensive software on Windows from what I
can remember - it also seems to work MUCH, MUCH faster than the
comparable method on Windows). This is useful if you want to send
documents to people, such as your CV, in a platform independent format
and you want to try and maintain the integrity of that document. Useful
for invoices, product specs., portfolios, forms that people have to fill
in manually (saves on paper costs), company literature etc.

I've just been to a job agency web site that told me that Microsoft
Office documents are de-facto standards(?!) and any CVs must be sent in
that format. I think it might be helpful if we politely pointed out to
these agencies and other organisations why we would like to submit our
CVs in PDF or the new Open Office XML format when it comes about. I'm
looking forward to this as we will finally have a standard format
between KOffice, Open Office and others. This is good news if you want
to use the software you want but have a common format. Lots of people
love the frame based nature of KWord others don't. If Microsoft uses
this format - great. If not that's their tough luck.

David