List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: question about frame ordering and text flow
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2002-12-28 21:22:43

On Saturday 28 December 2002 17:36, James Hatridge wrote:
> On Friday 27 December 2002 19:34, Sean Cavanagh wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using kword 1.1.1 to create a small pamphlet.
> >
> > The goal is to print the text on the page in landscape, in two columns,
> > stack the pages, and then fold the whole mess in half, and have a small
> > book.
> >
> > This means that the text flow needs to be somewhat unorthodox,
> > specifically, like this:
> >
> > Page 1: H | A
> > Page 2: B | G
> > Page 3: F | C
> > Page 4: D | E
> >
> > where A is the first block of text, B is the second and so on.
> > To put it another way, if one were to concatenate A, B, C.. H, and paste
> > it into a text editor, the text would all be in the correct order.
> >
> > So I've got the kword document with a bunch of frames on it, but KWord
> > seems to insist on renumbering the frames from top to bottom, so that
> > the text flows like this:
> >
> > Page 1: B | A
> > Page 2: D | C
> > Page 3: E | F
> > Page 4: G | G
> >
> > Any thoughts on how I can manually order these frames to get my wacky
> > text flow?
> >

> HI Sean et al...
>
> IF you can get this to work PLEASE let me know. About a year ago I asked the
> same question and only got silly shit in return.
Silly shit?

This feature needs to be implemented. What's silly or shitty about that?

> I know that
> the Koffice programers work hard, but it seems to me that something like this
> should be a basic item.

Not so basic. How should the user tell the program, in which order he wants the
text to flow? The GUI for this is the hard bit (the feature is itself very easy).
Make a decent proposal for a GUI, and it might be implemented. This is how
you can contribute to KWord, without even writing a single line of code....

- --
David Faure -- faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
KOffice-1.2.1 is available - http://download.kde.org/stable/koffice-1.2.1/