List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: How to get data from my app to kspread
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-12-16 22:06:49

I suppose that your problem is not to import the ASCII files one by one into
KSpread, but that you find it too complex/long/boring... (Otheriwise, I have
misunderstood your question.)

One way would be that your application generates KSpread files directly. They
do not need to be zipped, as the KOffice library allows raw XML files to be
loaded instead of zipped douments. However be careful that the file name ends
in .ksp or the file would not be recognized as KSpread file. (The DTD is in
koffice/kspread/dtd/kspread.dtd but be careful that the DTD might not
represent the effectively used KSP file format. So you better look at an
actual KSpread file to learn the file format.)

Another possibility, but a more complex one, is to generate any XML file and
to use the XSL facility of KOffice. However, you have to write the XSL
template yourself, so normally it is easier to chose another way to load.

Of course, perhaps you could also use any of the other file format known by
KSpread's import filters, like: Gnumeric, Excel, DBase, Opencalc or Applix
Spreadsheet.

In theory, you have also another posibility: to generate a file in your
private file format and to import it in KSpread by a private import filter
that you would have written.

I hope that at least one of the suggestion may suit you.

Have a nice day/evening/night!