List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: How to get data from my app to kspread
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2002-12-16 22:03:28

Op maandag 16 december 2002 21:31, schreef Kevin E. Fogarty:
> I would like to use kspread(?) to tabulate data originating interactively
> in another application - one I wrote myself (not a KDE-based application,
> but OpenGL - actually Ygl which is an IRIX-GL library clone).  For reasons
> I won't go into here, I can/will not rewrite this to use KDE.  However I
> would like to somehow get columns of numbers that are produced, as easily
> as possible into kspread so that the use can save/chart/edit them.
>  Currently I just create a series of text files (each with many rows of 2
> columns, i.e. (x,y) pairs).  These ascii files have to then be imported,
> one by one, into a spread sheet (actually it is easier in gnumeric than
> kspread as gnumeric has a more flexible text-import dialog requiring only
> "whitespace" between columns).  Anyone have a suggestion how I might think
> about approaching this?

Have a look at DCOP; Desktop COmmunication Protocol.
Start kspread and than kdcop.  In kdcop you'll find an entry for kspread.
From there on you would be able to communicate with kspread.  For the command
line and scripts there is the app "dcop".   For more info, browse the kde
websites, I think you can find more at developer.kde.org.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless