List:       koffice
Subject:    Formatting large docs in Kword
From:       Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews () worldnet ! att ! net>
Date:       2002-12-09 6:34:59

KDE_3_1_BRANCH
gcc 3.2
qt-x11-free-3.1.1-snapshot-20021207 (from TrollTech)
Koffice HEAD
Kword 1.2 Post (Using Kde 3.1.0 RCS)

Hi:

 I loaded a large doc (196 pages) in Kword and saved it as a *.kwd file.
The problem I have is that the document has paragraphs that are not the
full page widith. Like so:

     I.  The first of these periods may be traced
from the age of Trajan and the Antonines, when the
Roman monarchy, having attained its full strength
and maturity, began to verge towards its decline;
and will extend to the subversion of the Western
Empire, by the barbarians of Germany and Scythia,
the rude ancestors of the most polished nations of
modern Europe.  This extraordinary revolution,
which subjected Rome to the power of a Gothic
conqueror, was completed about the beginning of the
sixth century.

I want to format it to full page width like this:

     I.  The first of these periods may be traced from the age of Trajan
and the Antonines, when the Roman monarchy, having attained its full
strength and maturity, began to verge towards its decline; and will
extend to the subversion of the Western Empire, by the barbarians of
Germany and Scythia, the rude ancestors of the most polished nations of
modern Europe.  This extraordinary revolution, which subjected Rome to
the power of a Gothic conqueror, was completed about the beginning of
the sixth century.

 I tried to use the search and replace by selecting Edit->Replace ...
and then checking the box "Use Patterns". I then selected '$'(end of
line) for the find and a space for the replace. After I clicked 'Ok',
Kword froze. Is there another way to reformat these lines to full page
width ?

BTW Kword now loads and edits these big docs pretty quickly.

The e-book I want to format to full page width is here:
http://promo.net/cgi-promo/pg/cat.cgi?&label=ID&ftpsite=http://www.ibiblio.org/gutenberg/&alpha=750
History Of The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire -- Volume 1

						TIA

						Jonathan