List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: (no subject)
From:       Seth Kurtzberg <seth () cql ! com>
Date:       2002-12-08 21:08:33

On Sunday 08 December 2002 10:39, Tran Dang Minh wrote:
> I've read a document about Xft. I have problem with some concepts :
> 1. What does " client-side" mean ?

In X windows, client and server are sort of opposite.  Not really, but it
seems that way, because ordinarily you are working on the server.

So client side means whatever machine is sending data to your X server (that
is, your screen).

> 2. What does " render" mean ?  is it mean "drawing a font" ?

Yes, exactly.

#4 is the opposite of #3, obviously.  I have to look up what an anti-aliased
font means.

> 5. What does " core text" mean ?
> 6. What does " client-side font" mean ?

A font sent to your machine from another machine, rather than a font residing
on your machine.

> 7. What does " XFree86" mean ?

XFree86 is the free version of X used by linux, Free/Net/OpenBSD, etc.

> Can you send me a source example about using Xft lib to draw a text ?
> Thank you for reading
> I need them badly ...... please reply me...
> Have a nice day .
>

> koffice mailing list
> koffice@mail.kde.org
> To unsubscribe please visit: