List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-04 14:17:44

On Monday 04 November 2002 4:48 pm, Charles de Miramon wrote:
|  To add my little comment to this long discussion. I think OO and KO don't
| have the same goals.
|  OO is just cloning MsOffice : the good and the bad. Being cross platform,
| they have to reinvent the wheel for everything (widgets, printing system,
| fonts, etc..).

I believe such cross-platform compatibility can be achieved using Qt.
Or GTK2.
There is no sense to reinvent the wheel, unless you are going to master The
Perfect Wheel. And OO is far away from being perfect.

|  KO is a more modern project. The goal is not to clone MsOffice but to
| create something if possible better. We are also well integrated in KDE.
| Tomorrow, this integration could bear even more fruits : like a common
| collaboration framework for KDE, combination of PIM tools and Koffice,
| scripting environment, database plugins to connect KSpread and the
| mainframe ERP, a document centric interface to be invented...

I doo not think that KOffice brings up some radical things.
I think current KOffice already has some features which IBM (yes, IBM!),
Microsoft and Apple were promising 12 years ago (1990), and which are not
here yet.  Taligent came to nowhere.
Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) works very bad in Windows, and promised
cross-platform capability has been never delivered (Software AG was working
on UNIX port for OLE/DDE, but never delivered it)

I think important thing which distinguishes KOffice (and KDE) from other
project is that "we deliver!".
GNOME team promised BONOBized version of OpenOffice 2 years ago.
And still there is nothing to see.
And, BTW, having GNOME or GTK port of OO could be nice.
 I think this could speed up OO's startup and operation significantly.

|  The short-term goal for KOffice iis good filters and more functionalities
| as to expand the userbase. The long-term goal is doing thing with Koffice,
| you will never be able to do with OO.
|
|  Cheers,
|  Charles

Cheers,