List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-04 13:32:19

On Monday 04 November 2002 2:23 pm, Piotr Gawrysiak wrote:
|  David,
|
|  > Interesting - what's wrong with embedding a small drawing object (e.g.
|  karbon in koffice)?
|  I guess that it is a matter of personal preference, but for example for me
|  (with objects):
|
|  - I have to switch to another aplication (and even if this is embeded
|  object, I must first activate it prior to editing)
|  - I have to draw within other application working area and not *on* the
|  document I am preparing

You don't have to switch to another application. It works in KWord/KO
directly.

|  - There is no paragraph or word level control over graphical elements
|  placement

There is.
As far as I understand, you want to move graphics together with formatted
paragraph?
You do it in KWord by moving/resizing frames.
'Frame' is much more powerful concept, comparing to pure paragraph.

|  - Font/colors/styles handling - with embeded objects I cannot (for
| example) select all document's content's and globally change lines color
| (note also that in typical document you would have to use several separate
| embedded object in various places of the document)

You can change color for the font, globally.
I believe upcoming Karbon versions would support "styles" (for layers,
objects, etc.), so it would be possible to have "Style Editor" for your
arrows, triangles, circles, etc.

|  - It sometimes gives finer control over document elements placement (KWord
| - being a frame-based editor - mostly addresses this issue though)
|
|  Still of course this might be matter of taste... I wonder what are other
|  people opinions.

MS Word sucks.  Haven't used OpenOffice much.
Ventura Publisher is still better than KWord, but costs a lot of money.
I hope KWord would beat Ventura in year or two ;-)

|  > I know that MSWord can insert lines/rectangles/etc. directly into the
|  text,
|  > but this never worked as I wanted (drawings moved in random directions
|
|  Hmmm, well, MSWord *implementation* of this idea definitely leaves much to
|  be desired :-)

MS Word's design is terrible.
Ami Pro had much better design (also frame-based). It's a pity they couldn't
market it well, and MS Word dominates the market.

|  Piotr Gawrysiak

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)
http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html