List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-01 11:16:20

I would comment just on part of your mail.

On Friday 01 November 2002 1:46 pm, Piotr Gawrysiak wrote:
|  Dear all,
|
|  If you do not mind I would like to comment on some of the related
|  suggestions in one post (and many, many thanks for your comments!!!).

[...]
|  > where you expect these other developers who are going to port a behemoth
|  like OO from one programming language to
|  > another, are going to come from?
|
|  The thing that I am trying to do is to assess what are the possibilities
| of creating an integrated business desktop environment with office
| applications in a reasonable timeframe (say 1-2 years from now). And I am
| investigating if it would possible to boost such project with public funds
| and employed developers (think nationally supported project, EU projects,
| university cooperation and so on). Therefore the real question is - if
| (let's dream for a moment) we had funds and support allowing to launch a
| bigger development project with, say 5-10 people working exclusively on KDE
| office suite, what they should concentrate on?

if we could have "5-10 people working exclusively on KDE office suite" (paid
by some companies of EU) - I think they should work of Word/Excel/PowerPoint
Export/Import filters.
And not on port of OpenOffice to KDE ;-)

[...]
|  Summing up - I think that as Open Office is multiplatform it attracts more
|  media attention (and this is very important - several of my friends and
|  coworkers - some not even IT people - knew about Open Office and were
|  willing to give it a try or support the project somehow. None heard about
|  KOffice :-( ). It seems that currently OO has much greater potential to
|  attract developers, and attract businesses because of this.

You make wrong assumptions.
AbiWord is multiplatform (yes, I heard it runs even under Windows!) but
doesn't get attention OpenOffice *or* KOffice gets.

|  >A specific KDE port is no doubt feasible -
|  >it just takes resources. The question arises as to whether a port to KDE
|  >would be the best use of the available resources at this time.
|
|  Exactly. I was thinking that it would be, but now I am not that sure.
| Still, I am also not sure about KOffice...

If you have some resources ($$$) to support open-source Office Suit
development - put that money on developemnt of filters for KOffice.
You will get results faster than porting OO to KDE.

|  Many thanks again for all comments (hmmm, keep them coming?) and sorry for
|  taking your time and mailbox space!
|
|  Best reagards,
|
|  Piotr Gawrysiak

Vadim Plessky