I would comment just on part of your mail. On Friday 01 November 2002 1:46 pm, Piotr Gawrysiak wrote: | Dear all, | | If you do not mind I would like to comment on some of the related | suggestions in one post (and many, many thanks for your comments!!!). | [...] | | > where you expect these other developers who are going to port a behemoth | like OO from one programming language to | > another, are going to come from? | | The thing that I am trying to do is to assess what are the possibilities | of creating an integrated business desktop environment with office | applications in a reasonable timeframe (say 1-2 years from now). And I am | investigating if it would possible to boost such project with public funds | and employed developers (think nationally supported project, EU projects, | university cooperation and so on). Therefore the real question is - if | (let's dream for a moment) we had funds and support allowing to launch a | bigger development project with, say 5-10 people working exclusively on KDE | office suite, what they should concentrate on? if we could have "5-10 people working exclusively on KDE office suite" (paid by some companies of EU) - I think they should work of Word/Excel/PowerPoint Export/Import filters. And not on port of OpenOffice to KDE ;-) [...] | | Summing up - I think that as Open Office is multiplatform it attracts more | media attention (and this is very important - several of my friends and | coworkers - some not even IT people - knew about Open Office and were | willing to give it a try or support the project somehow. None heard about | KOffice :-( ). It seems that currently OO has much greater potential to | attract developers, and attract businesses because of this. You make wrong assumptions. AbiWord is multiplatform (yes, I heard it runs even under Windows!) but doesn't get attention OpenOffice *or* KOffice gets. | | >A specific KDE port is no doubt feasible - | >it just takes resources. The question arises as to whether a port to KDE | >would be the best use of the available resources at this time. | | Exactly. I was thinking that it would be, but now I am not that sure. | Still, I am also not sure about KOffice... If you have some resources ($$$) to support open-source Office Suit development - put that money on developemnt of filters for KOffice. You will get results faster than porting OO to KDE. | | Many thanks again for all comments (hmmm, keep them coming?) and sorry for | taking your time and mailbox space! | | Best reagards, | | Piotr Gawrysiak | ____________________________________ | koffice mailing list | koffice@mail.kde.org | To unsubscribe please visit: | http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice -- Vadim Plessky http://kde2.newmail.ru (English) 33 Window Decorations and 6 Widget Styles for KDE http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html KDE mini-Themes http://kde2.newmail.ru/themes/ ____________________________________ koffice mailing list koffice@mail.kde.org To unsubscribe please visit: http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice