List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kfrontpage?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-10-02 17:23:10

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 9:58 pm, Sean McGlynn wrote:
|  On Tuesday 01 October 2002 08:53, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > |
|  > |  You can help the QuantaPlus project, for example by giving a
|  > | donation. http://quanta.sourceforge.net/main1.php?actfile=donate
|  >
|  > Well, Quanta project is promising to deliver *something* already for 2
|  > years, if not more. And stil not delivered.
|
|  Hello Vadim,

Hi Sean!

|  Just for the record, the two original Quanta developers left the Free/KDE
|  version of the project a long time ago to pursue other interests, so any
|  promises made by them 2 years ago are out of context, IMHO. Basically, KDE
|  Quanta was thus left in the lurch.

Yes, I am aware about that fact.

|  Thanks though to the efforts and financial sponsorship of Eric Laffoon,
|  Quanta was fully revived about a year ago and since then the release of
|  version 2 for KDE2 finally happened, then the port to KDE3, then the
| release of version 3 just a couple of days ago. Version 3.1 is due to be

Thanks for info, I will download it when I have some spare time.

| released as part of KDE3.1. As well as all that in a relatively short
| period of time, Quanta was transformed from a specific HTML editor into a
| generic XHTML/XML/SGML editor and has had many other requested features
| added to it. WYSIWYG is a part of the future plan as I understand it, but I
| hope you can see that it was not the number one priority for the existing
| users.

Yes, I know that too.
I also remember Eric Laffoon said that "I am OS/2 user, and don't know what
you mean..." (responding to one user/poster, who pointed out to some Windows
HTML editing application).
I find such approach somewhat arrogant.
Ok, it's free world, and Eric Laffoon is free to do whatever he wants.
But I saved myself (and my time) from testing product which (supposely) goes
in wrong direction.
I still beleive that KWord is a way to go. It just needs good HTML/CSS export
filter (I do not care about HTML import for this particular case).
May be, I will write it one day...
At a moment, I am busy with developing fonts, and in particular I study AA
rendering (by different rasterizers). Recent FreeType builds are very
promising, and FT clearly outperforms ATM 4.1, Acrobat 5/Cooltype and MS's
ClearType,  but there are few annoying bugs left  in FT 2.1.3-rc2 which need
to be fixed.
// As a side note:  AA rendering in GhostScript sucks. And GS is not very well
maintained, and (again!) its developemnt is going in wrong direction. I think
replacement is needed for GS. I currently investigate wether SVG (together
with SVG viewer/rasterizer) can replace it (GS+PS, PDF) in long-term.

All this higher priority for me that getting tool which will do automatically
"HTML from WYSIWYG editing mode".
You can write good HTML/CSS by hand. But you can't render font or SVG by hand,
or even by good pixmap editor :-)

|  Apologies for getting OT on the KOffice list.

My apologies, too.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)