List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kfrontpage?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-10-01 8:00:44

On Monday 30 September 2002 10:39 pm, Sean McGlynn wrote:
|  On Monday 30 September 2002 10:48, David Faure wrote:
|  > On Sunday 29 September 2002 21:41, Sean McGlynn wrote:
|  > > Kafka never really got off the ground, so you can forget that.
|  >
|  > ... or revive the project.
|
|  Well, the question was asked by a user I presume David, so I answered in
|  "user-mode", not "developer-mode". Besides, Quanta has active plans for a
|  wysiwyg[1] mode, whereas Kafka hasn't been touched this year.
|
|  [1] When referring to (X)HTML, I prefer the acronym WhySwim - "Well
| Hopefully You See What I Mean" :-)

Re [1] - it really depends on quality of your CSS, and on HTML/CSS export
filter.
you can place all paragraphs, images, frames, etc. using *absolute
positioning* only (position: absolute), calculating positions using default
paper size. In this case, you will preserve all *original formatting* from
KWord document in such HTML page.
BTW: that's approach used by Adobe InDesign and Quark.

Another good aproach (read: another checkmark in HTML export filter) is to use
CSS3 "as is", even while it not reached final specification at W3C.
In particular, you can use "inline-block" from CSS3 to format columns, or even
multi-column layout module from CSS3.
"inline-block" is supported by MS IE6 aand IE 5.x for Macintosh.

Best Regards,
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)